Although errand-running SUVs have begun saturating the roads here in Olathe, workaholics still require something a bit more rugged for their expeditions to and from hardware stores. Few trucks do that job well enough to even garner a mention, but that’s not the case with the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado and Honda Ridgeline. As two of the top midsize trucks in America, both the Colorado and Ridgeline are stars, yet only one can realistically be sitting in your driveway. But which one?
Take a look at our Colorado vs. Ridgeline comparison to see why the newest Chevy truck is the obvious choice.
Colorado vs. Ridgeline: Price
When you come to test drive the 2018 Colorado at our Olathe Chevrolet dealership, the first thing you’ll notice is the sticker price. As one of the most affordable midsize trucks in America, the Colorado’s base MSRP (about $20k) is far superior to the Honda Ridgeline’s (nearly $30k). Think of all the fun things you can do with that extra $10,000:
- Take a cross-country trip around America, visiting each national landmark possible (Yellowstone Park, here you come).
- Get 10 years of season tickets to Kansas City Chiefs’ home games.
- Upgrade to a higher trim, like the Colorado LT.
- Finally renovate your kitchen, ridding yourself of those ugly laminate countertops.
- Pay off all some of your student loans.
- Load up on premium Chevy Colorado accessories, including the Sportz® Camping Tent, GearOn™ Bed Divider, a long sliding bed tray, or a hard-top Tonneau cover. (Our Chevy Olathe dealer can even order and install those Chevrolet accessories for you.)
- Invest in your child’s college 529 savings plan.
The 2018 Colorado is a budget-conscious shopper’s dream.
Colorado vs. Ridgeline: Safety
Although the Ridgeline is certainly the pinnacle of truck safety—we have to be honest—it lacks the intangibles that truly make it a worthwhile investment. For instance, the 2018 Ridgeline doesn’t include several Chevy Colorado safety features most parents want, even if they don’t know they want it yet:
- Teen Driver – Standard on every new Chevrolet Colorado, the Teen Driver system allows parents to stay (partially) in control of their newest drivers. Mute the Colorado’s stereo until all seatbelts are snapped in. Ensure all advanced safety features are enabled when they turn the key. Limit their speeds and distance, and put curfews in place, then review the Colorado’s in-vehicle report card to see how long little Johnny should be grounded.
- OnStar® Automatic Crash Response – When you and your Colorado have a too-close encounter with another vehicle, OnStar acts as your guardian angel. If you aren’t responsive or need immediate medical care, OnStar will automatically connect to the proper authorities to dispatch EMTs and police directly to the scene of the accident.
- Whiplash Protection – The 2018 Colorado has pre-tensioning seatbelts that remove slack when the truck detects an imminent collision, reducing the effects of whiplash and other injuries in general.
Colorado vs. Ridgeline: Towing & Power
If you frequent Clinton Lake or Lake Quivira in Shawnee, you and your boat will find the Colorado to be a more useful truck than the Ridgeline. The new Chevy Colorado has best-in-class towing, and it’s not even close. With its available fiery, 2.8L turbo-diesel, the Colorado can tow up to 7,700 pounds with ease, as well as over 1500 pounds of payload. Not only is the turbo-diesel Colorado a heavyweight hauler, it’s also the most fuel-efficient truck in its class, returning 30 MPG on the highway. The Colorado also offers a manual transmission or an 8-speed automatic.
The new Ridgeline, with its sole engine being a 280-horsepower V6, can only muster up the strength to haul around 5000 pounds. You’ll also be paying more often at the pump as the Ridgeline’s EPA rating is just 26 MPG at highway speeds. The Ridgeline only comes with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
Look like your choice is made, doesn’t it?
Buy or Lease a Chevy Colorado in Olathe, KS
Forgive the shameless plug, but we’d love to show you what makes the new 2018 Colorado a winner. Visit our Chevrolet dealership at 675 N Rawhide Road to slip inside the powerful Colorado, and take it for a spin around Olathe, on us. If you’d like to discuss how to finance a Chevy Colorado in Kansas City, feel free to contact our McCarthy Chevrolet Financing department at (913) 754-7208. We’re here to serve you, and serve you well!
Sources & Photos: